Thursday, July 28, 2011

Provo River 7-25-2011

I had the day off Monday for the holiday and Linda had to work, so I decided to go up on the Middle Provo to see how the Green Drake hatch was progressing. During the day there were a few drakes on the water and in the air, but no hatch of significance ever occurred. The water was still high, and a little cool for wet wading, but running fairly clear.



The Green Drake is the largest mayfly to hatch on the river.

I didn't have any fly patterns to match the adult, so I used the closest pattern I had, a green drake emerger. It was able to fool several fish, but the best pattern was a flying ant imitation.
This brown trout took the emerger.
All I caught were brown trout, kind of a blah name for a fish that can be so colorful.


This picture and the next two are of a fish with a double chin, odd looking.

Notice the flying ant it rose to eat.

It was a nice day, partly cloudy, fish rising occasionally, a few bugs on the water. For a while I just sat on the bank watching a single drake in flight until a starling swooped in and ate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment